Deltassist presents: From Safety to Self Compassion & Connection
WHEN: 3:30PM-5:30 PM Wednesdays
DATES: Sept 20 – Nov 22, 2023
WHO: Self identifying women ages 18+, including LGBTQ2 individuals who live in Delta, Ladner and Tsawwassen.
This is a 10 session group for adult women survivors of childhood sexual abuse (including LGBTQ2 individuals). The focus of the group is on stage 1 of healing from trauma which involves creating safety and learning emotional regulation techniques. The process of healing from childhood sexual abuse is most commonly divided into three phases, the other two phases are 2. remembering trauma(s) and mourning losses that have occurred as a result of the trauma(s), 3. living out changes within new and/or old relationships and community. However, research shows that people do not necessarily pass through these stages in a simple 1, 2, 3 order. Which phase of healing is most helpful may alter during life transitions like changes in relationships, employment, family dynamics (through marriages, break-ups, births, deaths, illnesses etc) or moving to a new community. This group is intended to support women in the first phase of healing. It will cover the topics of 1) establishing safety 2) tools for emotional regulation through self-soothing and relaxation techniques 3) building self-compassion and acceptance and 4) connecting with others.
- Goal setting and action plans
- Create a safety plan
- Emotional dysregulation
- Recognizing triggers and how they affect thoughts, emotional responses, physical symptoms, and behavioral reactions
- Challenging unhelpful thinking
- Specific examination of anxiety and panic attacks
- Building self-compassion, empathy, and self-esteem
- Examine abuser attitudes, cycles of abuse, and the complexity of relationships with abusers
- Communication skills
- Creating a relapse management plan